Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Observing Joshua

Joshua and I have been a part of a play group for sometime now. I wanted to be sure Joshua would have friends his age to grow-up with and play with and for me to have the commonality with moms of kids the same age. However, I've noticed, especially lately, that he tends to play by himself even in the presence of his friends. He prefers to do his own thing. I wonder how normal that is. On the positive side though, it shows me that possibly he might be a leader and won't be one to "go with the flow" just because everyone else is.

I've been trying to give Joshua more and more time alone (when at home) these past couple of months in preparation for Jenna's arrival. I often find him in his room reading to himself. I'm really impressed with his ability to entertain himself!! It makes me wonder if I've been letting him play alone too much though since he's not really expressing an interest in playing with his friends. I'm not sure. Any advice/tips?

I anticipate that Joshua will do well with his little sister. I bought him a baby doll just so that we can practice. He really loves the doll and tries his best to be gentle. He's very caring and sensitive; he always seems to know when I'm bothered or upset. I try not to show my discouraged feelings too much in his presence, but his little arms around my neck sure do make everything better!! I'm so blessed :-)

1 comment:

Zimms Zoo said...

Trust me until they are about 3 they don't really like to play with anybody outside of the people in their family.
Tate and Samuel didn't actually start playing together until Samuel was about 2 1/2.
It is good for them to be able to spend time alone. How else are they going to be able to be still and listen to the voice of God.