Monday, December 1, 2008

it has begun - help!!

Well, this past week, Joshua has figured-out he has options. Options, meaning the word, "no!" Yep. My child is no longer perfect *hehe* We have gradually been giving Joshua small chores (throwing away his own diaper, throwing away sissy's diaper, picking-up toys, etc.) and he has decided that he'll just say "no" whenever he doesn't feel like doing what we ask. I about hit the floor when he said it for the first time! He use to be so anxious to do whatever, whenever. Well...not anymore. Oh well. I knew it was coming sooner or later!!

So, what do you do when your child disobeys? Well, you give 'em a whack on the booty of course! Wish that worked with Joshua. He just looks at you like you're an idiot and goes on with whatever he was doing. We even pull the diaper down, but that isn't working either. It's probably my fault. I have this obsession with baby bottoms and I always use to give him little love pats. Hmmm...what to do. We often send him to his room and that works for about 5 minutes. I'm thinking about trying the corner next. We'll see how that goes!!

3 comments:

Carla said...

Ha ha , toddlers. Adorable little monsters. I have one myself (and two that are no longer toddlers) its funny how they go from "perfect" to little bundles of attitude...for mine it hits just before their 2nd birthday and starts to ease up just before their 3rd. My current toddler is the most easy going and sensitive of all my kids (the other two were very strong willed) so disciplining him has been a bit easier but the last couple days he is just dripping with attitude. He gets to sit in the corner when he's disobeying , hitting, being rude to mommy etc. He only sits for about a couple minutes but he does it. I've spanked him a couple times and he totally crumbles and is devastated...a save it for special occasions as even just a threat works wonders with him. A perfect reaction after my other kids...my other son would look at me in the eyes and yell" that didn't hurt!" and challenge me with an "is that all you've got look", and then do the bad deed again. It was a rough couple years but he's a well behaved 5 year old now. I've discovered if you stay on top of it ...they will eventually grow out of their barbarian stage. Sometimes it takes time to take effect though. And each kid reacts differently to different punishments...the trick is finding out what works for each kid at each stage. Hang in there mama!
p.s your family is beautiful!

Jennifer B. said...

I'm so in the same boat! I guess that's why I was worried that Jorryn had taught Joshua something she shouldn't have, because she is such Ms. Do It Her Way right now.

I really have to pick my battles and focus on the serious No-Nos. I've also worked hard on having her help me with certain things, like cleaning up, but lately she'll sometimes say no.

What I've been doing is just keeping at her till she does what I ask her to. And if she goes to grab another toy, I take it away, and tell her that she can have it back when she does what she was asked to. Sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes, sometimes it'll take 20 minutes. I feel like if I let it slide even once it'll take even longer the next time, so I make sure I follow through.

katylinvw said...

so cute, and so frustrating all at the same time! my in-laws used to make my husband sit on the stairs - no toys, nothing to do but think about why he was sitting there :)