Thursday, September 18, 2008

oops! behind again ;-)

I'm sitting here trying to get my fingers to move and it's difficult. I'm so tired that every inch of me hurts! I must conger up some energy for BUNCO tonight ;-) The theme is breakfast food (my favorite). My stomach is already growling for my SIL's pecan cinnamon rolls *drool* I may need to bring one of Jenna's bibs *haha*

Tuesday night was quite an experience. I went in to check on Jenna and do her meds during our normal midnight slot. I usually just operate by the light on her feeding pump so that I don't disturb her and so that I can easily go back to bed without seeing spots. I reached down to grab her feeding-tube extension and the back of my hand felt the sopping wet crib mattress. Argh! My first thought was, "I just changed her diaper a couple of hours ago, how could it have soaked through like this?" Well, it wasn't her diaper, but her feeding-tube! Ahhhhh!! The Y-port (where I can clamp off the feeding to administer medication) had popped-open somehow. Poor Jenna. I had to get her out of the crib, clean her up, change her, change her crib sheet, and check her blood sugar. There was no way to determine how long the formula had been pouring out of her tube instead of reaching her tummy. I tested her sugar and I thought it read "10," so I start freaking-out! When she gets a low reading (below 60), I have to re-test to be sure and then if it is confirmed to be low, I have to call the emergency number for her Endocrine doctor. Well, I looked at the glucometer again, and it actually read 103 *whew* That means she hadn't gone that long without food. What a relief!! I was so worried about it happening again that I found myself jerking awake out of bed and running into her room to check it. Thankfully, it didn't happen again that night.

I think we must have a defective extension set because when we were at the park yesterday, it happened again! A lady was sitting not to far from the stroller and was like, "Ummm...something's leaking." I looked, and sure enough, it had popped open again. I noticed that the consistency of the formula looked rather mucousy, so I'm wondering if she's straining and forcing formula back out of her stomach? I'm not sure, but that's what it appears to be. I'm going to see if this happens with a new extension set (once we get them), and if it does, I'm going to call the GI doctor because I don't think that's suppose to happen!

Well, I need to get to cleaning. You should see my house. Looks like Hurricane Ike hit it! If only you could see Joshua right now. He's standing right behind me and trying his best to name the letters on the back of my t-shirt. He actually knows several letters already and can identify them. Isn't that awesome? Oh! Almost forgot...can't believe I almost forgot this! Joshua walked-up to me told me (without me saying anything first) Wednesday morning, "ah luh loo." Which translates, "I love you." We tell him all the time and he has really picked-up on copying what we say. I called Nick right away, of course, to brag that he told me first ;-)

Okay, okay. I have to do something about this house *gag*

2 comments:

Mrs. Troop said...

Hope you've got the feeding tube all fixed - that must be frustrating!
Don't think of it as being "behind", you are caring for precious little ones! That's the most important work!

Liberia Adoption said...

It's normal for the formula to come back out. There's not a one way valve on the tube (probably should invent that.) So gravity just empties out whatever made its way into the tummy along with nice tummy goo (like vomit)...I learned this when Noah used to be on bolus feeds every few hrs. and we would administer with gravity (no pump). Get a new extension tube or get some silk tape and you can keep the med port shut. Had a great time with tonight. Glad you came!