Monday, November 10, 2008

i almost waved the white flag of surrender

So, Friday was an interesting day. Joshua had a dirty diaper and decided to dig around in it. Don't you love it when they do that? Yuck!! Joshua found it amusing because of all the gagging and disgusted faces I made as I cleaned him up. Sometimes I think he does stuff like that just do get a rouse out of me. Little toot!

Jenna had an early appointment with Dr. Tuggle (pediatric surgeon) regarding her fundoplication and hernia. The double stroller (arriving tomorrow) can't come soon enough! Joshua's harness was left in the Jeep, so I had to hold tightly onto Joshua's hand and push Jenna in the other. It was such a cold, windy day and both of the kiddos were not happy to be out and about. When we finally made it into the doctor's office, Joshua enjoyed playing with the toys in the waiting area. There was a small fire engine which Joshua insisted was made for sitting on and scooting around. He got quite a few laughs as he scooted by and greeted people. He's such a charmer!

Onto the appointment...

Jenna will be having her fundoplication re-done on the 26th (day before Thanksgiving). Nick and I had planned to join our Missions Director, Stef, and her family for the holidays, but it looks like perhaps just Nick and Joshua will get to go. There's no way I'm leaving Jenna! Stef has graciously offered to bring me up a plate of food :-) Yay! I would be bummed to not enjoy some holiday stuffing and green bean casserole. I'm not actually a big turkey fan. I'd much rather have a holiday ham! I know I've opened myself up for a joke there somehow, but thankfully, this is a one way conversation until you make a comment; even then, I have the power to "delete" your smart alec remarks ;-)

We finally made it home after picking-up lunch. As I was un-packing everything, I noticed my beloved, priceless, essential planner was missing!!! I looked everywhere...the car, diaper bag, bottom of the stroller...I was about to have a meltdown...nevermind, I DID have a meltdown. I called the hospital asking for lost and found. They said the area of the hospital I was in didn't have a lost and found...what?!?!?! I started bawling on the phone. The operator was so nice and did her best to encourage me. She offered to contact housekeeping and valet just in case they happened to see it, but said it would be best if I came up myself to locate it. After calling the doctor's office to make sure I didn't leave it there, I packed-up the kids AGAIN and headed up to the hospital in the blistering, cold wind. On the way, I called another friend and asked her to pray. She understands how crucial my planner is. She assured me that God would make it visible for me and that I would locate it. I pulled-up to valet, got out the stroller, loaded Jenna, walked the stroller to the other side to get Joshua and popped open the visor on the stroller and guess what I found? My planner was stuck inside the visor of the silly stroller! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but the valet couldn't help but snicker at my befuddled expression. On the way home, I told the Lord I knew I should be thanking Him, but I had to wait until I was no longer mad. Later, I imagined what His face must've expressed as I ran around like an idiot! What a sight I must've been!!

Friday night, I went for my regular late night grocery shopping venture at Wal-Mart. I spent nearly 2 hours cruising around and checking prices on this and getting things on my list. At check-out, I could've sworn I was in the beginning stages of a heart attack. I've been having pain in my left shoulder, neck, and my left side off and on for a couple of weeks now. The cashier asked how I was doing, and I told her I thought I was having a heart attack and you know what she said? "That's good." And then she started rambling about who knows what. I was taken back, so I couldn't focus on what she was saying. So, it was time to pay. I swipe my Wal-Mart card and it says..."Declined." I had paid the balance in full the week prior and it cleared our checking account, so I knew the message was faulty. After trying it again and getting the same message, my transaction was temporarily suspended and I made my way to Customer Service before they closed. One of the manager's called to check on my balance and noted that I had no balance. However, for some reason my account said my available credit was only $10...what?!?! Since the store has no abilities to access and adjust accounts, I had to leave my groceries behind and go home bawling my brains out. In the parking lot, I called Nick and sobbed and then called my best friend and sobbed. What a day! I really thought I was going to throw in the towel and just give-up. I cried-out to the Lord all the way home asking Him how much more disappointments and frustrations and difficulties would I have to go through before I see the lesson to be learned in all of this? I'm still waiting for an answer, but have since then felt peace and patience (for now) for His timing to unfold. I was able to take care of Wal-Mart's mistake this morning on the phone. For some reason, their computer doesn't like it when people pay their balances in full, so it automatically puts a "float/hold" on your account and has to be removed manually. What a pain in the rear!!

Please be praying for Jenna. Specifically that her reflux and vomiting would decrease. The surgery will fix this problem, but until then, she's hurting and is so frustrated. Also, please pray for me that I would be more aware of just how much the Lord has blessed our family and me. I tend to focus on the difficulties rather than the blessings and I would really like that to change. Joshua is really starting to show more and more signs of jealousy. Please pray that the Lord would give him comfort and patience. Finally, please pray for Nick and I. The stress and strain of having a sick child is really taking its toll on our marriage. Satan really likes to use illness to destroy marriages.

Thanks for reading my novel. Sorry it was more of a rant than anything else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, and I thought I had a bad day. Keep up the faith, God is in control, even though we have a hard time seeing that with our human blinders on.

Mrs. Troop said...

THAT was a bad day!
I can hear Beth Moore in my head saying, "Fight THROUGH the THANG!" - Rest in Jesus, Girl. He'll get you through. Doesn't mean it's easy, but He'll do it.

Liberia Adoption said...

Sweet friend! I am so sorry but do know that once God shared with me (John ch.9) it isn't always about teaching us a lesson, but about God getting glory. You are faithful and He knows He can trust you to be, so He delights as the rest of us stand in awe of you and the God you continue to praise! I'm so glad you got the planner (don't let the valet fool you, once they sent someone else's keys with me)! I know this is a terribly difficult time for you. I'm praying don't give up! Keep up the good fight! I love you and your clan!

God's Girl said...

Wow! When so much happens like that, it is clear that God is allowing things to happen for a purpose. It doesn't make it fun or easy though. I always think that a camera will pop out and someone is going to say, smile... you're on candid camera. HA!

Isn't it comforting to know that nothing happens to us that God doesn't allow? And we know that He is 100% good. It is just difficult to get the equation from our head to our heart.

I pray that your day tomorrow is wonderful!!!

Jennifer B. said...

Ouch! That is definitely a terrible day!!! I'll pray that the days get better for you and are less stressful! But also that Jenna does better even before her surgery.

On the upside, I find it funny that you mentioned enjoying a ham dinner, when I suggested one to you before ever reading your post!