Saturday, October 11, 2008

garbage in...garbage out!

Last night, I spent some time with my best friend. We got on the topic of movies and music and how much things have changed just in our lifetime. Now that we both have children, we have become much more aware of just what types of things are on the television and radio. Setting a godly example to our children is on the forefront of our minds and hearts. I have really cleaned-up my choice of programming. Confession time! I use to be addicted to watching "Heroes." There's something about the good guy/bad guy story-line that hooks me! Well, even in the midst of a good story, there's junk...violence, language, adult content, etc. So, even though I highly anticipated this season's new series, I found myself not even wanting to finish the first episode. Another confession! I've been hooked on "America's Next Top Model." I love Tyra Banks! She's a normal sized girl who's making a living and name for herself. Well, reality shows are full of junk and who cares about modeling anyway? It sends such a horrible example of self-image to girls and women. Beauty is a state of heart and mind!!

Okay, I'm done standing on my soap box for now :-) Just a few thoughts that were bouncing around in my brain!

3 comments:

Mrs.Gregory said...

Ok so I totally agree with you. I used to watch Ugly Betty. Angelea started wanting to watch it with me. That made me really start looking at the content of the show. Really was not that great. So I stopped watching it. Zion asked me the other day when I was not watching the season premiere why I was not watching it. So I explained to him the reason I was not watching the show. He just said OK and went on with life.

Liberia Adoption said...

My children are my best accountibility partners in life. I was watching Everybody Loves Raymond. I decided to challenge my daughter to give up Hannah Montana (nothing wrong w/the show, but I think the girl is headed in a bad direction) and I would give up Raymond. Neither of us have watched them since.

God's Girl said...

mmmmmm.... isn't that true? It is so good to be aware of what is going in our minds and what our children may be overhearing.

God's sweet, soft voice often convicts when I watch things that may not be the best (like top model).

Thanks for sharing!