Wednesday, October 15, 2008

today...another day the devil tried to win, but didn't *smirk*

Today was a busy day. I really thought I was going to throw in the towel at a couple of points, but that would be letting the enemy win, so I pressed-on ;-)

We left the house at about 10:30 this morning to make our first stop...Target! Yes, I'm a Target junkie and admit it gladly ;-) Even if I'm only browsing with no intention to buy, I could spend hours in that place (and have). I needed to buy some stickers for garage sale pricing (big sale this weekend) and some socks for Jenna. Well, I got the stickers, got the socks, and managed to snatch-up an adorable pair of shoes for Jenna as well. So, I went to check-out...the total was around $20 and the registered flashed the dreaded "DECLINED" across the screen. So, I called the bank to find-out just what the deal was. Apparently, one of the pharmaceutical companies we deal with regarding Jenna's meds decided to charge a co-pay to our card this morning WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION!! How embarrassing!!

Leaving the store rather pink in the face, I made my way to Wal-Mart (where we have a store credit card which is suppose to only be for groceries and gas). On my way to Wal-Mart, I got a call from Jenna's Geneticist's office saying our appointment had been cancelled. WHAT?!? *grumbling* They said to go ahead an come in for labs, but we wouldn't be seeing the doctor. I asked about previous lab results and they said they were "interesting." How's that for vague?!?

Anyway, I got the stickers, the socks, a pair of shoes, and lunch and headed to my best friend's house (we're doing the garage sale together). Layla graciously offered to watch Joshua while I took Jenna to get her labs drawn.

So, we get to the hospital, get parked, and make our way through the hospital. I decided to park in the parking garage, which is a significant distance from the appointment, because I need the exercise!! I get to the office and somewhere along the way, Jenna lost her shoe (the new pair I just purchased). Well, there wasn't a nurse that felt capable to draw labs from Jenna since they have to draw it from her scalp, so they said it was going to be a while. I was glad to be able to go and hunt down Jenna's shoe. Thankfully, a lady told me she saw it and it wasn't far from the office. After getting back to the waiting area, they still weren't ready for us, so Jenna and I sat and enjoyed chatting with a family sitting in the same area. It was a young mom with her parents. She had 5 boys! I told her she'd be well taken care of when she's old and gray and she agreed. She and her husband had tried and tried for a girl; after losing a little boy in the NICU, they decided they were done and were going to focus their time on their boys.

Finally, I managed to see one of Jenna's nurses for another doctor whom has drawn labs from her scalp before and she was happy to help. So, we get back there and Jenna's so strong that two people have to hold her down while the nurse draws the labs. It was HORRIBLE!! Jenna was screaming, I was crying, and the nurse pulled-back too far on the syringe and lost all of the blood she drew. Blood was everywhere, but by the grace of God, I was able to hold everything together. A second syringe of blood was collected and I was finally able to pick-up Jenna and comfort her. Poor baby :-( I hate that she had to go through that.

I finally got the chance to talk to one of the genetics counselors and she said that 2 of the 5 labs they drew on our last visit showed some changes in the DNA. They won't have anything solid to diagnose until after these labs return, so please be praying!! She didn't have anymore information to share and that frustrates me, but I'm going to try my best to trust the Lord in this.

On the way to pick-up Joshua, I managed to scrounge-up enough fundage to indulge in a chocolate soda from Braum's. I justified having it by the way my day had been going *haha* Joshua inherited a basketball potty seat from Layla's youngest and thought it was a hat. He kept on putting it on his head! Thankfully, Layla's a very clean person and made sure it was sparkling before handing-it-over :-)

I left Layla's and headed home. On the way home, I got a speeding ticket. JUST KIDDING!! The cruddy day stuff ends here *hehe* When we finally made it in the door and the kids were settled, I plopped on the couch and answered a call from my very dear friend from church. She's the one I've mentioned many times before who has the sick 8-year-old son. He's having to go on another round of antibiotics, so please be praying for him as well. They were over her visiting on Monday and had to leave sooner than expected because little buddy started feeling badly. Here's a link to her blog if you'd like to check it out...click here.

Well, here it is past 9 o'clock and I've yet to price my items for the garage sale and get them loaded in the van. Ha! I'm wondering if I should call it quits on this garage sale idea *sigh* So much to do still and trying to figure-out how I can get it all over there in the early morning hours with the two munchkins in tow. I guess I could stop rambling on here and come up with a plan. What a concept!

G'night :-)

3 comments:

Liberia Adoption said...

Hey sister! I hope the sale is going super well for ya. I LOVE choc. sodas from Braums. Major stress reliever ha! You are such an encouragement to me in your love for the LORD. There is so much scripture about perseverance (I think it's in there esp. for moms with sick kiddos :)

Mrs.Gregory said...

Ok So here is a question for the not so smart. How can your DNA change???? That would be so frustrating.

I will be praying that the "interesting" results are just interesting and nothing more than that. You never know this may be one of those God moments where He took care of soemthing that was there before and the only thing to say is that God did it and hallelujah. Don't you love those MIRACLES.

Keep us posted on You and yours and that family with the precious 8 year old.

T

Mrs. Troop said...

Boy, I have totally had those days, lately! It seems like I'm always fighting the discouragement. Thank you for YOUR perseverance and faithfulnes. I always smile when I read your blog. Happy Thursday!