Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Joshua's Appointment Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Joshua meets with a pediatrician who specializes in Autism. I thought this was a silly appointment until it was explained to me that sometimes ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) can be a result of an underlying illness. I am really nervous at this possibility and praying that it is just ASD or if there is an underlying illness that it would be a simple fix. The appointment is suppose to last an hour and there is the possibility of a lab draw to check for possible genetic abnormalities. I sincerely hope the doctor will decide the lab draw is unnecessary. In times past, Joshua has not done well at all with needles. The last time Joshua was around needles, Jenna was having an adrenal crisis at the doctor's office and she was getting an IV. Poor Joshua has never witnessed Jenna in an emergency situation and it really threw him. He vomited several times out of sheer panic and concern for his sister. That boy loves his sister so deeply. This was the first emergency situation where it has just been me and with the kids; all other emergency situations, either Nick or another adult has been able to whisk Joshua away to another room. All that being said, I am thankful Nick will be going with us so he can be a support to Joshua and me!

We will receive recommendations and suggestions of all sorts to help Joshua function in the best possible way as he grows into a young man. I want to follow the absolute best path for him. The panel of doctors who performed the evaluation and gave the ASD diagnosis have strongly urged public education. Nick and I have considered it, but the cons outweigh the pros in our opinion. Bullying is a big issue for kids in general, but from what I have read, even more so for kids with ASD. I couldn't handle that and Joshua has been bullied in the past without a clue! Another issue with sending Joshua to a public school is the germs he could/would bring back to Jenna. I realize germs can be picked-up at any of the places we go (church, restaurants, friend's houses, etc.), but germs at school are much more prevalent from what I have been told, have read and understand. Jenna has been doing very well and we have been encouraged to expose her to more (and we have), but there is a difference between exposure and forced exposure. We cannot let our guard down and should still be somewhat cautious.

I'm so proud of Joshua. He is so engaging, smart and charismatic. He loves to read and uses his imagination. Some days are extremely tough on me and I am trying to figure out ways to help cope with the stress of having two special needs kids, but I can't imagine my life any different. Joshua is uniquely Joshua and I am proud to be his momma.

2 comments:

Dani said...

You're doing the absolute right thing for him by continuing to keep him at home! Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can educate him the way you can. You are a warrior,momma!

Love you!

Hilary de Haan said...

Thank you, Dani! Your encouragement means so much to me. I love you! <3