Tuesday, January 14, 2014

You're worth saving!

Do you know? Do you know that you're worth saving? I'm not just talking about being saved by grace and our Heavenly Father, but His grace is the ultimate saving. I'm talking about your time for your well-being, your family's well-being, and the legacy your family will be known for. Will you be known as the family who does everything for others (not necessarily a bad thing, but read on) and no time for their own family? Or will you be known as the family who stuck together, spent time together and loved each other well? I'm not saying you can't commit adequate time to your family while serving others, but I know it's possible. I know people who do this very, very well because God has gifted them in abundance to do both well. We are not one of those families. Darn it if I haven't tried. I have. I really, really have. I've prayed and asked the Lord to give me the ability to do both well, but time and time again, that door has been closed. Maybe that door will open one day, but right now, we are working on our family's very survival. I know the Lord will lead us to serve here and there on short-term situations because we are all called to serve on some level. Serving looks very different in the lives of each person/family. We're not all called to say "yes" to every single thing put in our laps.

I hope that all makes sense.

I am very 'type a', so this is a daily battle for me, but I have learned to say, "No, I'm sorry I can't do that," instead of "Sure! No problem!" I have learned that my lack of sanity turns into outburst and stress that trickle down into the lives of my sweet husband and dear children. Is it worth it? Is it worth putting too much on your own plate and damaging the lives dearest to you because you just can't keep your cool any longer? The world isn't going to fall apart if you say "no" to a task or responsibility, but your child's world may very well fall apart if you tell them you're too tired one more time.

Some questions I ask myself before committing to anything: "Will my family suffer as a result of this commitment?" "When was the last time I had a me moment?" There are so many other questions to ask, but I will not go into them now. You know which questions apply to you and your family. What are your questions? I encourage you to write them down. There's something to be said about getting things out on paper or on the computer screen. It's one of the reasons I started blogging again.

So, I urge you...for the sake of your sanity and the love of your family...learn to say it. In fact, maybe you should go stand in front of a mirror and practice saying it. You can still say "no" with a smile on your face. Just because you say it, doesn't make you a bad person! If the person asking, prompting, suggesting a "yes" response from you doesn't understand or respect your time or decision, perhaps you need to direct your energy elsewhere all together. Pray for them, but step away. It can be done!

Hello, my name is Hilary and I'm 'type a'; I'm still learning to say, "no".

***********************************************************************************

This blog entry is dedicated to my first friend who has helped me see the light and the importance of saving myself. Thank you for still being my friend after all these years and for continually speaking truth into my heart and soul despite my lack of effort to change.

No comments: